Tendering Engineer Description
The Tendering Engineer will liaise closely with customers, key suppliers and the sales teams to formulate solutions which meet customers' technical and commercial requirements. This will include reviewing client enquiries & being responsible for developing technical proposals and cost estimates. Accurate quotations will be produced which include margins, materials, labour and other associated costs. In addition to this enquiries and customer requirements need to be followed up to increase conversion rates through appropriate pricing and levels of customer service, to secure orders.
The role requires the ability and willingness to travel.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- A central point to receive enquiry documentation and develop and implement the formulation of order winning strategies.
- Liaising with all relevant departments and suppliers for technical scope development and pricing purposes, developing and maintaining relationships, providing detailed feedback to stake holders.
- Management and launch of customer enquiry into business to help the business make fact-based Bid/No Bid decisions
- Act as companies internal contact point for the customer during the tender phase and manage the submission of detailed responses to customers enquiries & clarifications.
- Lead the production of the tender including accurate cost estimation and generation of supporting documents required within the ITT/RFQ (i.e. Gantt Charts, SDRL’s Quality Assurance Plans etc.)
- Document and manage the commercial/technical risks and assumptions for the opportunity up to the point of sales handover.
- Support the sales team during negotiations and post tender submission including following up opportunity with customer if required.
- Initial review of customers contract documents to ensure compliance with offer prior to order acceptance.
- Participate in Sales Handover meetings.
- Building and maintaining cost/pricing estimating databases and ensuring costs are captured and fed back through the system. In addition, providing indicative pricing support for business development.
- Maintain & update CRM database.
- Complete proposals to meet customer/business deadlines and identifying opportunity and risk during the sales and tendering phase.
- Responsible for running & administration of the internal Sales/Tender Review Process.
- Taking responsibility for the Internal Risk Review Process up to point of Sales Handover.
- Assist in the delivery of proposals covering the full product portfolio.
- Taking ownership for various projects assigned to the role and assist and supporting with other activities as and when required.
- Development opportunity identification and implementations within the tendering process, to streamline and making it uniform across all products lines to support the businesses continual improvement initiatives.
Education (qualifications & training):
- Minimum HNC/HND in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
- Gas Turbine / Power / Oil & Gas experience preferred.
- Minimum 2 years' experience in a tendering/sales management environment and/or business development.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Project.
- Full and valid driving license.
- Knowledge of basic Project Management techniques.
Skills (capabilities & qualities):
- First hand industry experience combined with a technical Knowledge of Gas Turbine products and aftermarket services.
- Understanding of Contractual Terms and Conditions.
- Ability to produce Gantt Charts using Microsoft Project (or similar software packages) to determine realistic lead times and support resource planning within the business.
- Strong organisational skills in order to manage a wide range of projects and tasks, with the ability to prioritise multiple tasks to meet deadlines.
- Self-motivated and the ability to work confidently under pressure.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to retrieve information from internal stakeholders and translate their technical language into persuasive business writing with a clear sales agenda. To be able to share relevant information with target audience in a clear, logical and constructive way combined with outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Ability to effectively inform, involve and influence others in order to successfully manage projects well.